Why Certified Scrum Master (CSM)?
Given the nature of Agile frameworks, the role of Scrum Master is vastly different from that of a traditional project manager. Scrum Masters are ‘servant leaders’ who make sure that individual team members have every resource they need to work effectively. Scrum Masters are responsible for supporting their team by them understand Scrum practices, rules and values and facilitating autonomous development.
Our Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) training course is designed to provide candidates with a strong foundation in Scrum, as well as the necessary people skills to effectively implement Scrum in the workplace. There are no prerequisites for this course but familiarity with project management or Agile frameworks would be an advantage. The course would benefit anybody involved with product delivery such as team leaders, developers, analysts, product managers, project managers, or those who would like to pursue a career as a Scrum Master.
Scum Alliance, founded by the creator of Scrum – Ken Schwaber, have purposely designed this course to be less IT focused, and better suited to the implementation of Scrum in wider industries. Our interactive, 2-day course addresses the principles and theory underpinning the Scrum framework and the Scrum Master’s role. Training is based on Schwaber and Sutherland’s ‘The Scrum Guide™ The Definitive Guide to Scrum: The Rules of the Game’. Looking at all aspects of the Scrum framework from theory and foundations to practical applications and pitfalls. The course challenges and encourages students to not only understand Scrum principles but to understand their practical application.
By taking the CSM course candidates will:
- Achieve a comprehensive understanding of the Scrum Framework, practices, theory, values and roles
- Understand the role of Scrum Master, the Scrum team and stakeholders.
- Learn Scrum the application of principles in the workplace.
- How to build an effective Scrum team with an appropriate mix of skills and experience.
- What it means to be a ‘servant-leader.’
- Understand how to facilitate Scrum Events and best use the unique ability of agile to improve iterative development cycles.
- Help Scrum Product Owners (PO’s) shape and refine product backlogs.
- How to drive the adoption of the Scrum framework for more effective development whilst working with other Scrum Masters to improve its effectiveness.
CSM certifications looking great on any CV, a CMS certification makes it easy for employers, clients and customers to verify your Scrum skills. In addition, this certification does not expire and is valid for life!
Who should attend Agile Scrum training?
Agile Scrum training is suitable for any of the following:
- Those who wish to adopt the Agile Scrum framework for use in their organization.
- Members of cross-functional teams within an Agile Scrum project, including software developers, Scrum Masters, agile business analysts, agile project managers, agile product owners, and more!
- Candidates who wish to supplement their existing skills set with a globally recognized agile certification and improve their marketability.
- Those whose role involves the oversight or management of agile development teams.
- Project managers who wish to move into a contemporary agile project management role or improve their current project development cycle by adopting select agile practices.
- Those who have no prior experience in agile and want to learn more about this flexible, practical and increasingly popular framework!
Agile Scrum training applies to a wide range of sectors and industries. It is particularly well suited to volatile and innovative projects, where scope is more likely to change (i.e. software development).
Benefits to individuals
- Learn the guiding principles and themes of Scrum from training devised by the founding father of Scrum, Ken Schwaber.
- Demonstrate to potential employers and co-workers that you have a comprehensive and practical understanding of the Scrum approach and its’ components.
- Improve your marketability in any chosen role by adding an internationally recognized agile certification to your resume, expanding your career opportunities, and maintaining a relevant skillset.
- Join a global community of Scrum and Agile experts committed to the continuous improvement of their professions.
Benefits to organizations
- Agile Scrum was created for use in the IT industry, but there are no limits to where Scrum can transform your work. Scrum has been successfully implemented across almost every industry.
- Scrum has been used to manage complex products for more than 2 decades. It’s the most popular and widely used agile framework and has been successfully applied to various projects and teams.
- Teams that use agile frameworks like Scrum react more quickly and accurately to change. By staying focused, collaborating, and communicating, agile teams can accomplish any goal.
- Companies that adopt agile frameworks like Scrum benefit from increased ability to manage changing priorities, better visibility into projects, better alignment between business and IT, and quicker development times.
- Scrum helps businesses meet complex, changing needs while creating high-quality products and services.
- Frequent “inspect and adapt” cycles reduce waste and minimize risk.
Certified Scrum Master (CSM) course features
Accredited by: Scrum Alliance.
Certificate: Certified Scrum Master (CSM).
Format: Virtual classroom.
Duration: 2 days.
Exams: Included (taken online).
Course code: CSM
Certified Scrum Master (CSM) course details
- Duration: 2 days.
- Times: 09:00 to 17:00.
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) exam voucher included
The Certified Scrum Master (CSM) qualification measures whether a candidate has sufficient knowledge and understanding of Scrum to recognise and understand key elements of the approach.
This Scrum course is a pre-requisite for the Advanced Certified Scrum Master (A-CSM) and Certified Scrum Professional – ScrumMaster (CSP-SM) qualifications.
General agile and Scrum
- The Agile Manifesto.
- Empirical and defined processes.
- Scrum process and sprints.
- The significance of “done.”
- The 5 Scrum values.
- Applicability of Scrum.
- An overview of Scrum roles.
- The Scrum Master.
- The product owner.
- The team.
- Team characteristics.
- The impact of Scrum on traditional roles.
- Project constraints.
- Success factors.
- Approach questionnaire.
- Sprint planning meetings.
- Daily Scrum meetings.
- Sprint review meetings.
- Sprint retrospective meetings.
- Release planning meetings
- The product backlog.
- Product increments and the definition of “done.”
- Sprint backlogs.
- Burndown charts.
This 2-day Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) training course will give you a good understanding of Scrum principles and practices. Successful candidates will learn how to:
- Participate as an informed and productive member of a Scrum team.
- Work as an effective Scrum Master for the Scrum team.
- Successfully manage projects under the Scrum framework.
- Explain the benefits and drawbacks of the Scrum framework to key stakeholders.
- Define and understand the management of Scrum Artifacts.
- How to initiate and run Scrum Meetings
- Understand how to employ Scrum in practical contexts.
- Understand how to transition to Scrum.
- Understand how to combine the use of Scrum with other Lean and Agile approaches.
- And much more!
Certified Scrum Master (CSM) exam
Accredited by: Scrum Alliance.
Pass mark: 37/50 (74%)
Duration: 60 minutes.
2-day Certified Scrum Master (CSM) course
- 2-days of instruction from a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Trainer and Agile expert with over 20 years’ training and consulting experience.
- Course materials handbook (online PDF).
- Access to electronic copies of other reference documentation.
- Recognition by the Scrum Alliance as a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) after passing the Exam.
- 2 years’ membership to the Scrum Alliance.
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special events.
- For PMI Project Management Professionals (PMPs), this course provides 16 Professional Development Units (PDUs)
Certified Scrum Master (CSM) FAQ
Why choose us?
agileKRC are Agile experts with over 20 years of experience in Agile Project Management training and consulting, delivering agile courses accredited by the APMG.
Keith Richards, the founder of agileKRC was the Lead Author of AgilePM and DSDM - Dynamic Systems Development Methodology.
Keith has been at the forefront of the agile movement in the UK and has helped to bring agile project management best practices to a wider audience.
What students say
About Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification
“The course was delivered in a way that everyone could take part and learn, which is commendable during remote working.”
“This course was really valuable – it put theory into practice & helped me to feel confident to coach my business, on how to use Scrum, to help us become more agile.”
“Fun course, plenty to learn and loads of chances to break out to do work in groups.”
“Very useful course for getting to know about Scrum and managing Scrum teams. It’s a safe environment to share experiences, ask questions and build Scrum knowledge through the interactive team games that are played as part of the course.”
Get in touch
All courses are accredited by Scrum Alliance, the only member-driven non-profit certifying body in the agile space.
All course content is delivered by a professionally accredited Certified Scrum Trainer (CST), vetted by Scrum Alliance.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, all agile certification courses have been replaced with virtual classroom courses.
Features of a virtual learning environment
Agile virtual classroom courses are a great learning alternative if you want to get your agile certification with the help of an accredited instructor.
What you need
- Any home computer or mobile device.
- Web browser software.
- Audio device.
- Internet connection.
Our virtual classes use the latest educational technology. These are some of the tools which you will use in our virtual classroom:
- Interactive whiteboards.
- Video between you, your trainer and other students.
- Recordings of the classes which you can playback later.
- Online chat rooms where you can talk with other students and get feedback from your instructor.
- Online exam simulators.
- Online quiizes.
- Online live exams.
- Offline materials (AglePM Handbook) to supplant the online teaching.
Benefits of virtual classroom training
Our virtual classes provide all the benefits of distance education combined with an interactive, social learning in an online training environment.