SAFe Agilist: Leading SAFe 4.6
What Is This Course?
Successful scaling of Agile beyond the single team is one of the most important challenges faced by many organisations. Core scrum provides no guidance on how to do this, and unofficial techniques such as Scrum-of-Scrums go only some way to providing an answer and are not widely understood. The SAFe – Scaled Agile Framework™ is an increasingly popular complete approach for large-scale, multi-team Agile projects and programs. It builds upon the use of Scrum and eXtreme Programming (XP) by Agile teams with specific program practices and roles for Agile Architecture, Release Train Planning and management of the Product Vision, Roadmap and Program Backlog. At the overall Portfolio level, SAFe utilises concepts of Lean Thinking and Kanban for the management of Architectural and Business Epics within agreed Investment themes.
Develop a skillset that’s in demand worldwide—and empower your enterprise to succeed in a disruptive marketplace—when you become a SAFe® 4.6 Agilist (SA). During this two-day course, you’ll learn the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®), how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation at enterprise scale.
You will gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and why it’s so effective in today’s adapt-or-die marketplace. You’ll also get practical advice on supporting Agile teams and programs, empowering a Lean Portfolio, building a continuous delivery pipeline and DevOps culture, and coordinating large solutions.
What Will You Learn?
By the end of this course, and to perform the role of a SAFe® Agilist, attendees should be able to:
- Apply SAFe to scale Lean and Agile development in your enterprise
- Recognise and apply a Lean-Agile Mindset and principles
- Continuously explore, integrate, deploy, and release value
- Empower with a Lean Portfolio
- Coordinate the development of large solutions
- Enhance your Lean-Agile leadership skills
- Support a Lean-Agile transformation in your enterprise
What Will You Receive?
- 2 days of high quality instruction from a Scaled Agile accredited SPC and Leading SAFe trainer with 15+ years agile experience
- All course materials, which include an attendee workbook, exercises and case study
- Exam study guide to support SAFe® 4.6 Agilist exam preparation, including access to a practice test
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 4.6 Agilist exam
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special events
- For PMI members, this course provides 15 Professional Development Units (PDUs) towards their continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications
- For Scrum Alliance members, this course provides 15 Category C Scrum Education Units (SEUs) toward earning or renewing their CSP through Scrum Alliance
- For courses on our public schedule, refreshments are provided throughout the course, including drinks and lunch
What Topics Will Be Covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
- Introducing the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Embracing a Lean-Agile Mindset
- Understanding SAFe Principles
- Experiencing Program Increment (PI) Planning
- Exploring, Executing, and Releasing Value
- Leading the Lean-Agile Enterprise
- Empowering a Lean Portfolio
- Building Large Solutions
Who Is This SAFe Training Course Suitable For?
The following individuals will benefit from this course:
- Executives and Leaders, Managers, Directors, CIOs, and VPs
- Development, QA, and Infrastructure Management
- Program and Project Managers
- Product and Product Line Management
- Portfolio Managers, PMO, and Process Leads
- Enterprise, System, and Solution Architects
How Should You Prepare For This Course?
Delegates should ideally have 5+ years of experience in software development, testing, business analysis, product or project management as well as some experience using Scrum. A Certified ScrumMaster or Certified Scrum Product Owner or similar qualification would provide an ideal starting point. This course is NOT suitable for those without prior agile experience.
Background reading prior to the course is essential, including review of the SAFe – Scaled Agile Framework™. A full reading list is provided to delegates upon registration. A reminder and additional recommendations will also be provided.
What About Certification?
The first step toward becoming a SAFe certified professional is to attend the Leading SAFe course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe 4.6 Agilist Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the Leading SAFe course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 45
- Passing score – 34 out of 45 (76% passing score)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any retake questions.
Exam Study Materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.